Kilmore Advertiser, July 15, 1922
By the death of Mr. Charles Edward Wallder, which took place at his residence, “Bessboro,” Auburn, on Saturday morning last, a former well known and highly respected citizen of Kilmore was called to his last reward, after an illness extending over two months. The deceased gentlemen, who was in his 75th year was born in Essex, England, arrived in Victoria in 1856 with his father, mother and five members of the family by a sailor named Ships Sea Park, after a tedious voyage. After residing at Collingwood (then a bush part of Melbourne) the family took up a selection at the Upper Plenty, afterwards removing to Wallan, where they lived for a number of years. In 1871, along with his brother, the late Mr. Alfred Wallder he opened a butcher’s shop in Kilmore alongside the Royal Oak Hotel, where a successful business was carried on, later on, later on purchasing the premises opposite now occupied and re-built by Mr. Frederick Wallder. In the early years of 1880, deceased, who was ever an active townsman, was elected as a member of the Kilmore riding of the shire, and was president in 1885. He was a keen debater and had for his colleagues the late Mr. Thomas Bossence and Mr. John Taylor. He took a lively interest in the Kilmore Agricultural Society, Hospital and other institutions. He married the daughter of the late Mr. William Trenoweth of Glenburnie. Whilst in Kilmore Mr. Wallder was always (sic) of a speculative nature. He purchased various properties including Lake Logie. He was one the three surviving P.M’s of the Kilmore Masonic Lodge. In 1887 he disposed of his business to the late Mr. Bantock, and purchased Lloyd Jones’s Avenel estate, which, however, turned out a disastrous speculation, leaving him stranded. With indomitable English pluck, he started over again, and was successful in establishing a lucrative business at Albury, N.S.W., leaving there some 12 years ago for Auburn, where he continued in business up to the time of his death. The late Mr. Wallder, familiarly known as “Charlie,” had a large circle of friends, who will deeply regret his death. He leaves a widow, two sons and a daughter, comfortably provided for. The funeral took place at the Box Hill cemetery on Sunday last, the services at the house and grave been conducted by the Rev G. Schofield a former Methodist minister at Kilmore, and an old friend of the family. His two surviving brothers, Messrs Alfred and Harry and his sons, were the chief mourners.