Kilmore Free Press, June 6, 1935
On Tuesday night Kilmore lost one of its foremost citizens when Mr. Frederick George Wallder breathed his last at his home in Victoria Street, after a somewhat lengthy illness. Mr. Wallder was born at Portsmouth 83 years ago, and came to Victoria with his parents, arriving at Melbourne when two years of age. The family came almost immediately to Wallan Wallan, where the father Mr. George Wallder, engaged in the butchering business. As a child F. G. Wallder played in their innocent companionship with Ned and Dan Kelly, the three with Charles, Alfred and Harry Wallder, brothers of the first-named, being schoolmates. In his youth deceased followed the occupation of his father. In fact the family continued in the same occupation, and the grandchildren are likewise engaged. Mr. Charles Wallder established the well and favourably known butchering business in Kilmore in 1872. Other members of the family migrated to Seymour, where the same line of business was entered into. Mr. F. G. Wallder was the proprietor, and after continuing there for some years, he came to Kilmore. In the meanwhile Mr. Charles Wallder had disposed of the business to Mr D. Bantock, with the latter’s son, Mr. F. W. Bantock for manager, Mr. F. G. Wallder took over the business from Mr D. Bantock, and it once more came into the Wallder family about 40 years ago.
After a period Mr. F. G. Wallder considered the time opportune to enlarge the premises, the prevailing shops and appointments being somewhat obsolete. Transferring the business temporarily to the premises now known as the Blue Bird cafe, the old butchering one storey premises was demolished, and the present two-storey shop and dwelling, with new outbuildings, stables, and other appurtenances took the former site at a cost over ?3000. Mr. Wallder carried on the business until 1915, when his son, F. J. Wallder enlisted for service in the great war, and the business was leased to Messrs Morrissey Brothers for a term of three years. Upon the cessation of the war, and the return of Mr. F. J. Wallder, the Kilmore business was resumed, and is still carried on by the latter. Some time ago Mr. F. G. Wallder was stricken with illness, and, although he made spasmodic recoveries, he eventually succumbed as previously stated.
Mr. Wallder took very keen interest in all matters pertaining to the welfare and progress of the town, but never sought public positions. He held a seat on the board of management of Kilmore hospital for a brief period, but did not care about the publicity it brought and he declined re-election. He also declined a seat at the shire council table, and also the nomination as a justice of peace. He was, however, an enthusiastic follower of coursing, and for some years kept a good class of greyhound. He was one of the principles in founding the Kilmore Plumpton, but from various reasons the venture was not a success. About the only other recreation Mr. Wallder indulged in was bowls. He established the Kilmore bowling club, and when the green was being constructed he provided horses, scoops and men at his own cost to carry out the work, and had the satisfaction of seeing the club become a success. As an employer, Mr. Wallder enjoyed the respect and confidence of the other employees. Of a vivacious disposition, he was popular with all, his honesty of opinion and business integrity being outstanding in all his transactions. His wife predeceased him a few months ago. At the shire council meeting on Wednesday reference was made to Mr, Wallder’s progressiveness and value as a townsman, and a letter of condolence was ordered to be forwarded to his family. The pennant of the bowling club was flown half-mast as a mark of respect to deceased. The surviving family comprises two sons and a daughter the former being Frederick J., Kilmore; Harold, in business at West Melbourne, whilst the daughter is Alice M. (Mrs Steve Holman), Kilmore. The remains were interred in the Methodist section of Kilmore cemetery this afternoon. Rev. H. McCraw read the burial service, and Mr. G. Diggle conducted the mortuary arrangements with the usual sympathy and dignity.